QuickBooks is world-famous accounting software. Many businesses cannot imagine completing their accounting tasks without this software. But long-time QuickBooks users must know about the various errors that the software displays when they work on it. One of these error codes is QuickBooks error 404. When you encounter this message, it may feel frustrating. But it’s essential to troubleshoot it. Fortunately, there are various ways to resolve this common issue, which otherwise can cause many problems. You must understand the reasons behind it as well. In this article, you’ll learn about this problem more and the various fixes you can use to resolve it.
What Does QuickBooks Error 404 Mean?
When this error occurs, you’ll see an error status message. It reads, ‘Error 404 QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.‘ Generally, error 404 is a result of when your software isn’t correctly installed. But it can also happen due to corrupt files in the QB database. These issues lead the Windows to shut down completely. When you are facing this error while installing the software, you must track how you can fix it. In the following section, you’ll find the reasons and ways to resolve this glitch in the system.
Why Does QuickBooks Error 404 Occur?
There are many reasons behind QuickBooks update error 404. The common ones include:
- Malware infection in the system. The malware infection can cause corruption of every system folder and file.
- A corrupt Windows registry of your system. It might get corrupt due to the uninstallation or installation of QuickBooks associated with this software.
- A malicious software that may instantly delete your company files.
- Corrupt or incomplete installation of the QuickBooks software.
- Any program updates can also result in the deletion or corruption of QuickBooks-related files.
What are the Symptoms of Error Code 404 in QuickBooks?
The QuickBooks error code 404 comes with many symptoms. The user can find their system experiencing any of the following signs below.
- Their system gets crashed with the error when they try to run a program.
- Error code 404 gets displayed and causes harm to every active accounting program.
- Windows become sluggish and do not respond to the keyboard or mouse command.
- The user can see error code 404 getting displayed on their system’s screen.
- The system can periodically freeze for a couple of seconds.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
Don’t worry if you find this error message on your screen. Start following the fixes below, and you can resolve the error quickly.
Reconfigure the system settings
Whenever you face the error 404, the very first step you can take is to reconfigure your system settings. The process is not very tough to follow. Here are the needed steps for it.
- Launch the QuickBooks software as well as the company files.
- Initiate the process where you last saw the error.
- Sign out from your company file. Close QuickBooks later.
- After this, update the Windows. Also, reboot your system.
- You must also go to the Internet Explorer ‘Settings’ and choose the ‘Tools’ menu.
- Tap on the ‘Internet Options.’
- Choose the ‘Advanced‘ tab and browse. It is in the ‘Settings’ pane.
- Now close all the programs. Save the information.
- Next, hit Windows + R keys. Enter ‘msconfig‘ and press ‘OK.’
- Next, select ‘General‘ on your system configuration screen.
- Go to ‘Startup Selection‘ and opt for ‘Selective Startup.’ Then click ‘OK.’
- Lastly, reboot the system.
Read Also- How To Fix Quickbooks error code 6000?
Confirm the internet connection settings
You must also check the internet connection settings to deal with error 404 QuickBooks. To verify it, open Internet Explorer and follow these points.
- Go to www.google.com and determine if there’s a proper net connection.
- If you find that you cannot reach the Google website, inspect the internet connection settings.
- If you can reach other websites, launch QuickBooks.
- Below the ‘Help‘ tab, tap ‘Internet Connection Setup.’
- Below the ‘Internet Connection Settings‘, opt for the ‘Use my computer’s internet connection settings’ option.
- Click ‘Next‘ followed by ‘Done.’
Check the firewall and antivirus settings.
You can also inspect the firewall and antivirus settings when facing this issue. Security software is also one of the leading causes of this problem.
- Tap ‘Start‘ on the desktop. In the search bar, input ‘Firewall.’
- Tap’ Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.’
- Inspect the Firewall Settings. See if it has blocked QB services from gaining internet connection access.
- Eliminate QuickBooks services from the blocked application list.
- You can also open the Firewall of the antivirus application and remove any QB service from the list of blocked applications.
Delete junk files and open the browser in private mode
Junk files in plugins and browsers can also cause QuickBooks update error 404. You should first clear junk files and then switch to private mode. It will ensure that no plugin loads when you access a website.
- Launch the browser you use to launch QuickBooks Online. Navigate to the ‘Settings.’
- Use the search option to locate ‘Cache and Cookies.’
- Select this option for clearing cookies and cache from the browser.
- Close the browser and right-tap its desktop icon.
- Choose the ‘Incognito Mode‘ or ‘Private‘ and then access QuickBooks Online.
Make QuickBooks a trusted site.
It is also one of the effective ways to fix error 404 in QB. To make QuickBooks a trusted site, use these points.
- Navigate to Internet Explorer and choose ‘Tools‘ and ‘Internet Options’, respectively.
- Tap the ‘Security‘ tab and go to ‘Trusted sites.’
- Add ‘*.intuit.com and *.quickbooks.com‘ as trustworthy or trusted sites.
- Select ‘Cole‘ and hit ‘OK.’
- Sign out from the company file and close QB.
- Now reopen QB with the company file and carry this process where the error happened.
Read Also- Resolve the Quickbooks Script Error Code 0
Hopefully, you will feel confident about fixing QuickBooks error 404 after reading this article. All these measures are easy to use. If you still find the error persisting, connect with expert QuickBooks customer support services. The experts are ready to help you whenever you reach out to them.