QuickBooks is quite a reliable accounting software. It has helped numerous businesses to manage their bookkeeping and finances efficiently. Indeed, the software has transformed the accounting industry for the better. QuickBooks stores essential data of businesses. A loss of this data can prove to be ruinous. Thus, it’s vital to keep this data safe by taking its backup or recording it. In this article, you’ll learn how to backup QuickBooks Desktop. If you open QuickBooks regularly, it is even more crucial to take backups for data restoration. Read this article fully to discover the different ways of securely creating a backup.
How to Backup QuickBooks Desktop
Creating a backup of company files will store everything present on the file at a specific moment. When you create a backup QuickBooks Desktop, it will save various things like templates, accounting data, and images. It will also protect other files associated with it. Note that the software does not backup the payroll forms. For backing up the data, you have two choices. You can either automatically backup the data or do it manually. In the following sections, you’ll find how to create backups through both these methods.
1. Configure QuickBooks automatic backup
Many people don’t know that setting up QB automatic backup is possible. They ask, does QuickBooks Desktop backup automatically? Yes, it does. You just have to follow a couple of simple steps to backup your data. The setting up QuickBooks automatic backup is as follows.
- Open QuickBooks and navigate to the ‘File‘ menu.
- Once there, change to ‘Single-user mode.’
- Select ‘Save copy or backup company‘ and make a local backup.
- Once you have selected the backup copy, hit the ‘Next’ button.
- Now you must choose ‘Options‘ to configure the backup defaults.
- After that, hit the ‘Next‘ option.
- The users should now locate and note the time and date of the file backups to know the files. You can also restrict the number of backup copies by using the checkbox. Enter a number you desire for the backups built for every company.
- Now tap the checkbox that says ‘Remind me to back up when I close my company files every time.’ When you click on it, you will start getting reminders for backup and setting a frequency.
- Remember to tap on ‘Options‘ for confirming the data before you save the changes. But you can skip this part in case you want a speedy process. However, it’s good to enable it so that you receive the alert messages whenever there’s damage in the file. You will find the options as follows:
Complete verification, no verification, and quicker verification
- You will notice the backup options window popping up on your screen. Now you must tap on the ‘Browse’ button. After that, choose the location to keep the copy.
- Next, select the tab of ‘Change Location.’ You can also select the tab of ‘Use this Location.’ After doing so, click on ‘Next.’
- Now tap the option ‘Save it now‘ and time future backups or schedule future backups. After doing so, hit ‘Next.’
- After ding all this, you must choose the option of ‘Save backup copy automatically when I close my company files every time.’
- Input the number in a field and hit ‘Finish.’
2. Configure QuickBooks schedule backups
It is another way of backing up files in QuickBooks. Start by opening ‘File‘ and follow the instructions below.
- Tap ‘Save copy or Backup.’ When you tap it, you’ll see that a backup wizard will open.
- Choose ‘Backup copy‘ and tap ‘Next.’
- Navigate to ‘Options‘ for setting backup defaults. Then, hit the button ‘Next.’
- Now, you need to tick on the option that says ‘Only schedule future backups.’ After doing that, hit ‘Next.’
- Navigate to the section of ‘Backup on a schedule.’ Tap on it.
- Now you need to give a description of the scheduled backup you are making. Also, you need to search for the folders where you desire to ‘Save your backup copies.’
- Tap on ‘Number of backup copies to keep the checkbox. Now, input a number.
- When you are done with it, tap ‘Store Passwords.’ After that, click ‘Store Windows Passwords.’ Now, give the necessary Windows login details.
- Select the frequency for the backup. It can be daily or weekly.
- After you choose it, tap on it.
3. Set up QuickBooks backup reminders
Many people lead a busy life. They can often forget to back up their data. In such a case, you can set backup reminders. The steps to do it are not very difficult. To set up QuickBooks backup reminders, firstly navigate to the ‘File‘ menu and then go through the steps given below.
- Choose ‘Save Copy‘ or ‘Backup‘ in the ‘File‘ menu.
- Choose ‘Backup copy.’ After that, tap the ‘Next‘ option.
- Next, click ‘Options.’
- After that is done, you will see the ‘Tell us‘ field. Here you have to tell where you want to save your backup copies. Browse the directory where you desire to save your backup file.
- Proceeding forward, you must select ‘Remind me to backup‘ when closing data each time. Give a number in the field as per your requirement.
- After doing so, select ‘Add time and date‘ of the backup.
- Lastly, hit the ‘OK‘ button.
4. Back up your QuickBooks company file manually.
Many people wonder how to back up company files in QuickBooks manually. If you choose the manual method, you can backup your company files anytime. Adhere to the following process.
- Navigate to the ‘File‘ menu and select the option of ‘Switch to single user mode.’
- Now, return to the ‘File‘ menu again and hover the mouse over ‘Backup company.’
- Next, choose the option of ‘Create a local backup.’
- Choose ‘Local backup‘ and follow it by tapping ‘Next.’
- In the section of local backup only, choose the option of ‘Browse.’ Also, select the option for a location for saving the backup.
- Set how many backups you desire. Note that this is just an optional step. You can skip it if you want.
- It is highly suggested to set backup reminders through the options present in the section of ‘Online and local backup.’
- Execute a test to make sure that the backup file is fine.
- Next, click the ‘OK‘ button.
- Opt for the option of ‘Save it now.’ Follow it up by clicking ‘Next.’ When you view the confirmation message, the process will complete.
5. Adjust the backup settings
To find when you backed up the company file the last time, you must visit the ‘File‘ menu. Once there, hover the cursor over the ‘Backup company.’ After that, check the ‘Time and date‘ it’s present at the top of the menu. If you wish to make some modifications to the backup preferences, follow the process below.
- Select ‘File‘ and hover your cursor over the backup company.
- Tap the ‘Create local backup‘ option.
- After that, choose ‘Options.’
- Make the needed changes and tap the ‘OK‘ button.
- Now you possess a ‘Backup company file‘ that you can utilize for restoring your QuickBooks company file. It has a .qbb extension at the end part of the name.
If you keep these backup company files on a hosting service, you must change them to the local hard drive. Only after that execute the restore process. Also, note that if QuickBooks locates the company file with the identical name in the folder, it will ask you if it needs to replace the current file. In such a case, you must avoid replacing. Otherwise, the existing file will be removed or erased.
6. Utilize the express start method
This method is easy to employ. Follow the steps provided below.
- Start by creating a company file.
- Tap on the button of ‘Express Start.’
- Input relevant information in QuickBooks setup.
- Now, you can select ‘Help me choose to see a description’ for every type of business.
- It’s also possible to preset the chart of accounts that QuickBooks will make according to the industry. Tap on the button ‘Create a company.’
- You can also create a chart of customers, accounts, and services after creating the company file. It is also possible to do it later. For it, you can choose the ‘Start working‘ option.
Read Next- Why QuickBooks Is Not Responding?
Now you know how to backup QuickBooks Desktop by yourself. You can use these methods to set reminders or scheduled backups. If you face any problems in using these methods, reach out for QuickBooks customer support services. The QB experts will guide you through the whole process.