How to Create and Find QuickBooks Company File?
QuickBooks is a robust accounting software in the market to manage and record all the business accounting. But do you know where these records are stored? To deliver you the explanation, we are here. All the QuickBooks financial data are accumulated in the company file with a .qbw extension.
These QuickBooks company files are local stores on the system that you can access anytime. You must create a company file to store all the business accounting records. If you find creating a company file challenging, then go through this write-up to know the procedure. It also provides the steps if you already have the file but can’t find it.
How to Create QuickBooks Company File?
The Company Files of QuickBooks are the most crucial data for any business that is utilizing the QuickBooks Desktop service. Moreover, the company files create in all versions of QuickBooks, such as Pro, Premier, Enterprise, Pro Plus, etc., and have the same .qbw extension. It means all your company files are stored in the .qbw format. For example, if the file name is MyPayrollData, hence the file will create as MyPayrollData.qbw. Now, we are towards creating the QuickBooks company file with the following means:
- In the very step, open your QuickBooks Desktop
- When the No Company Open window opens, click Create a New Company File.
- Here are two options displays for setting up; choose one:
- Choose Start Setup or Express Start to start creating the file. You have to provide your industry, business name, and business type; then click on Create Company File. You also have a choice to provide the info later.
- Choose Detailed Start for a complete setup by which all your information will be in from the beginning.
- Ahead with the on-screen step to accomplish the setup.
- Note: If you already have a QuickBooks Company File, change its name to a new unique It will support you in preventing overwriting the data.
- When the step completes, click on Start Working.
- Finally, start working with QuickBooks.
Different QuickBooks File Extensions
Now, you know how to create a company file in QuickBooks. But sometimes, users confuse themselves with the extensions after creating the company file. However, users don’t know the company file extension, so whenever they try to access the company file, they access other Quickbooks files. So we clarify to you that the Company File has a .QBW extension, QBB is a QuickBooks Backup File, and QBO is a QuickBooks Bank feed Statement File. So to access the company file, always go for the .QBW extension file.
After creating the company file, sometimes, users can’t find the file in the system. So in the next section, we are going to provide you with the methods to find the file.
How to Find QuickBooks Company File?
There are many scenarios where the users can’t find the QuickBooks Company File location. It can make the user frustrated. So to find the company file follow the given methods:
Method 1: Perform Windows Search
Generally, the company file saves on the system, so it is easy to perform a Windows search to find the company file. Go with the following steps:
- Firstly, go to Windows Start.
- Secondly, using the Search Box, type *.QBW.
- Now, all the files with the .QBW extension will appear in the Windows Start.
- Choose your QuickBooks Company File from the list, or you can right-click on any .QBW extension file and choose Open File Location to reach the company file folder.
If the above method seems complicated or you can’t find the file, then go with the following.
Read Also Here :- Quickbooks Payroll Issues
Method 2: Use File Explorer
File Explorer contains all the files saved in different locations of the system, whether it is C Drive or D drive. It will help you find the company file location easily with the following steps:
- In the first step, click on Windows Search.
- Then, type File Explorer in the search.
- When File Explorer appears, choose it to open.
- In the next step, click View and then choose the Hidden Items checkbox.
- Now, from File Explorer, go to the Search from the right above the window.
- After that, type .QBW in the search.
- All the .QBW extension files appear on the screen.
- From here, you can open your QuickBooks Company File and also the Folder location.
These are methods to discover the Company File of QuickBooks on the system.
Sometimes, the users have their company files, but the files don’t properly work with the latest versions of QuickBooks. So to overcome these scenarios, users have to update the company file. In the following section, we are going to discuss the same.
How to Update QuickBooks Company File?
Updating the Company File is a must process to work with the latest QuickBooks download versions, nor you can face any company file issues. So updating the company file is a necessary action.
Go through the following steps:
Step 1: Prepare the Company File
Before upgrading the company file, we have to prepare the file. It is a critical step that can’t be skipped. If you miss, then there are chances of facing company file errors in the future. Following are the steps:
- Open the QuickBooks original version.
- Now, open the company file that needs an update.
- Then, you have to press the F2 key to access the product Info window.
- Afterward, note down where the company file location on the computer from the File Information section.
- At last use, the Rebuild Tool to perps the company files for the update.
Step 2: Update QuickBooks Company File
When you open the company file in the newer QuickBooks version for the first time, it will ask you to update it. Now follow the given steps:
- In the initial step, check that all users are logged out of the company file.
- After that, open the QuickBooks Desktop newer version.
- Now, click on Open or Restore Company to open the company file. Or click on the File menu and then the Open or Restore Company option.
- In the next step, click on Open a Company File and then Next. If you don’t have the company file (QBW) but have the Backup Company File, then click on Restore a backup copy>>Local Backup.
- In the next step, search the computer to get the company file. (You can use the above finding method to search the company file)
- Choose the company file and then click on Open.
- Now, log in to your QuickBooks Company File as an Admin.
- The QuickBooks will automatically make a backup of the existing company file. To save the backup, click on Change This Default Location and save it in a specific folder.
- Click on Update Now to begin the update.
- When the update Quickbooks is complete, finally click on Done.
QuickBooks Company File is essential for any small and medium-sized business. With this blog, we provide you with the steps for creating one. If, however, you forget the location or your file is missing, you can follow the above-given methods to locate it. We also provide you with the latest steps to update the company file.
However, if your company file gets damaged in the process of update or update stops in between then, contact the Quickbooks customer support Experts through Email or Live Chat. They will revert and guide you with the best. Thank You!