QuickBooks is a highly popular accounting software. Many small and medium-sized businesses employ it to carry out their accounting and bookkeeping tasks. Indeed, this easy-to-use software has made tasks like managing sales and tracking finances a breeze. But being software, it also runs into many glitches. Often, people report that their QuickBooks won’t open. When there’s a problem with its opening, it can impact the business operations negatively. However, you can quickly fix it with the help of various techniques. In this article, you’ll find the causes behind why QuickBooks does not open. You’ll also find ways by which you can resolve this problem.
Why QuickBooks Won’t Open?
Upon encountering this error, a person may wonder why my QuickBooks won’t open. Well, it won’t open because of one of the following reasons.
- An outdated version of QuickBooks software
- Damaged or corrupt company files.
- File already opened on a different system via multi-user network.
- A lengthy company name.
- A reported problem with the company file.
- User employing an incorrect method for opening the file.
- A corrupt hard disc.
- Improper installation of the QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Identify the QuickBooks Won’t Open Problem?
The problem of QuickBooks refusing to open makes itself known through various symptoms. Watch out for the following signs and identify them.
- Your system will hang repeatedly.
- The QuickBooks Desktop will not run.
- The computer will respond slowly to your mouse and keyboard command.
- You will encounter numerous halts when trying to access the QB company file.
Measure to Take When Your QuickBooks Won’t Open
There are many simple techniques at your disposal that you can implement when you find QuickBooks not opening. Go through them below and try them out to fix this problem.
1. Close QBW32.exe process
It’s the first resolution to use when QuickBooks Desktop does not start. To close the QBW32.exe process, follow these points.
- Right-tap on the ‘Windows Taskbar’ in your system. Then choose the option of ‘Start Task Manager.’
- Next, hit the ‘Process’ tab and then tap on the ‘Image Name’ header. It will arrange the processes in an alphabetical manner.
- After that, find and select ‘EXE.
- Next, tap ‘End Process.’ It will close the exe process.
2. Repair the QuickBooks Desktop installation
When QuickBooks won’t open company file, you can try repairing the installation of QuickBooks Desktop. Before you do it, back up the company file and restart the system. Then do the following:
- Navigate to the ‘Control Panel‘ and tap ‘Programs and Features.’
- Choose ‘QuickBooks‘ from the programs list and choose the ‘Uninstall/Change’ button.
- Click ‘Continue‘ followed by next.
- Click ‘Repair‘ and after that choose ‘Next.’
- It will take some time for the repair to be complete. Click ‘Finish‘ after that.
- Restart your system. Then try updating the QuickBooks software to the latest version.
3. Rename .ND and .TLG extension
At times, QuickBooks will not openwhen you save the file with a lengthy name. You’ll face much trouble in launching the file. So, shorten the file name by changing the extension’s name (.ND AND .TLG). Follow these instructions for this purpose.
- Launch the folder where you saved the QuickBooks company file.
- Right-tap the transaction log file. Rename it to (filename) OLD.qbw.TLG.
- Repeat this procedure to rename the ND file and open the company file.
4. Suppress the QB Desktop application
If your company file is corrupted, you need to ensure that the QuickBooks software itself is functioning. It may be possible that the software is attempting to open your earlier company file. Suppressing the QB Desktop application will help you in this scenario. Follow these points for doing it.
- Right-tap on the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- Now, hold the ‘Ctrl’ button.
- Press the ‘Open‘ tab.
- Hold the ‘Ctrl’ key for launching the screen of ‘No Company Open‘.
- Ensure to leave it when the QB shows an error.
- After that, access the QuickBooks file.
5. Ensure that QuickBooks is already registered
When you find QuickBooks not opening, check if it is registered. If it is not, you’ll definitely face this problem. Follow the points below to check if the product is registered and what to do if not.
- Open QuickBooks and press F2 on your keyboard. By this, you can see the product information.
- Now see the registration status of QB. It’s present on the right side of the license number.
- If you are registered, you’ll see it displaying ‘Register.’
- If QuickBooks isn’t registered, tap ‘OK‘ on the screen to close the window of ‘Product Information.’
- After that, click ‘Help‘ and select ‘Activate QuickBooks.’
- Abide by the instructions on your screen to confirm your information and complete the process of activation.
6. Copy the file to another location
It might be possible that your company file is present on a network drive. If so, you can copy it to your system’s local drive. If this file opens and you don’t face any problems, you should fix your network configuration. You can also run the QB File Doctor to get help in this procedure.
- Make a new folder in your system’s C: drive.
- Open that folder where you have saved the QB company file. Now press and hold the Ctrl key. Choose the company file and the .TLG file.
- Right-tap that file and choose ‘Copy.’
- Launch the new folder. Right-tap and choose ‘Paste.’ Alternatively, you can press the keys Ctrl + V.
7. Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub can resolve the QuickBooks not opening problem efficiently. When you find that the problem isn’t settling despite carrying out the procedures mentioned above, you can use this tool. To download this tool, follow the steps below.
- Exit the QuickBooks software.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Save the file you download to a location where you can find it easily.
- Open it. It will have been saved with ‘QuickBooksToolHub.exe.’
- A window will come that will have some instructions. You need to follow them.
- Tap the ‘I Agree‘ button to agree with the terms and conditions. The Tool Hub will get installed on your system. You can use any of the tools from the QB Tool Hub to go ahead with the troubleshooting.
After reading this detailed guide, you won’t encounter any problems when QuickBooks doesn’t open. Follow the instructions carefully and find where the problem lies. But if you still cannot find a viable solution, go ahead and dial the QuickBooks support phone number. The customer service staff will diagnose and resolve the underlying issues with your software. They are there to help you 24/7.